Monday, November 23, 2015

Ananias, Sapphira, a Blunder and an Apology

In my mind, I'm a great communicator, orating with crystal clarity and astounding profundity in nearly everything I say. After all, I completely understand all I share with amazing lucidity and a total lack of ambiguity. 

If only that were my reality!

In truth, there are times when my alleged "clarity" lets me down and I'm not clear at all. There are times when the things I say do not line up with my intention in saying them. One of those instances occurred a few weeks ago when I spoke on giving. The sermon was called "The Giving Principal".  The primary point of the sermon was that tithing is a "beautiful and biblical way of expressing our thanks to God for saving us and providing for us." 

After establishing the basis for tithing in the Old Testament, I was pointing out that tithing was a core value of the church in the New Testament as well. I went to Acts 4 and the story of Ananias and Sapphira. I was in the middle of explaining how the infant church brought their offerings to the apostles (you can hear it at the 28:45 mark in the sermon audio). I make the point that the early church was bringing everything. But Ananias and Sapphira deceptively hold back some. I label that as a sin. Here's what I said, 

"...when Ananias and Sapphira hold some back…in ch 5, they die! Death is a consequence of sin, Ananias and Sapphira sinned by holding back..."
Even now, I look at the words I said and shudder at what I put out there. It certainly sounds to me as if I just taught that we all have to bring all we have into the church or God will kill us.

This is a mistake and I regret saying it. It was not what I intended to teach, at all. All I can do is ask forgiveness and promise to be more careful as we go forward. 

I had hoped to make the point that Ananias and Sapphira were relying more on taking care of themselves than they were on God taking care of them. Their sin was rooted in self-reliance and they expressed that self-reliance by lying to the Holy Spirit. I communicated that point very poorly. 

One of the things I try to do when helping others learn how to preach is show them that it's easy to fill in the blanks in our minds while leaving our listeners in a fog. To us, we make perfect sense because we have wrestled with the text, done our study, immersed our self in it,  outlined it, written down out thoughts and then brought it together in a sermon. We understand ourselves perfectly fine! But those who are listening on Sunday morning do not have the benefit of our thought-process. Because they come into it cold, we,as preachers, have to strive to bring complete thoughts and expressions, being careful to explain ourselves at every point.  Otherwise, we can leave someone with the wrong impression. Worse than that, we can do damage when we are trying to teach and nourish. 

I thank God for those who came forward and were willing to dialogue in a mature, respectful way. People who handle things this way become part of the teaching/equipping process, helping to refine us as pastors and preachers. It would have been much easier to whisper in the corners, complain and create a much larger problem. The harder, more mature approach is to assume better of the teacher and the leaders and become part of a solution that moves the body of Christ forward and closer to the Father. 

I'm humbled, edified and greatly encouraged by how all this has transpired. I take my responsibility seriously, knowing I will answer, one day, for all that I teach. I am grateful to those that come alongside our staff and leaders, with patience and constructive input and help us become better teachers and pastors. I thank God for an awesome congregation that loves enough to be patient as God continues to mold and teach us all.    

No comments:

Post a Comment